Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Blood Work


We have had a bit of an ordeal with Lexi's bloodwork this year. I took her in for a well-visit at the end of February. It had been a few years since she had been, so they caught her up on her shots - just 2 from last year. Her pediatrician wanted her to get bloodwork too. I took Lexi to a clinic and had it done. A few days later, the doctor called and was VERY concerned about Lexi's low platelet count. It was 46,000. The normal count is 150,000 and 20,000 is a trip straight to the emergency room to be checked into the hospital. The doctor asked about unexplained bruising and nose bleeds, which Lexi has been having. She had us come back in the next day and told me that Lexi should not participate in combat sports (which she doesn't). 

The pediatrician did another check up and asked how long the bruising has been going on, which I was pretty sure about a month to 6 weeks. That was right after Lexi had the stomach flu. That is probably the cause. Once I knew it was probably a virus, I started giving her OnGuard and Melalueca oils (they are great for viruses). I also had her drink pomegranate juice, because I saw that it helps on the internet and why not? I took her back in for blood work that week and her platelet count had jumped up to 85,000. That is still low, so she referred us to a Hematologist at Texas Children's Hospital. 

That's where we went today. Dr Tran talked to us about a lot of family background issues and general health questions. She had Lexi do more bloodwork right there. She called me later to say that it was 102,000. It has improved, but is still low. We have to do this again in a month. Lexi is cleared for sports though, which is good because she just started volleyball at the YMCA with several church friends. We also found out that she is exactly 5'3".


Picture of Lexi - she isn't ill - just avoiding photos (not a fun stage)

Lexi's Blood Pressure

No comments: