Monday, September 08, 2008

First Day of School


Today is Lexi’s first day of school. We call it school, but it is really Mother’s Day Out.

We have both been pretty excited about this, but yesterday I could tell she was starting to get a little nervous. She even had two accidents. I have to admit I felt a little sad last night thinking about it. This morning, on the way to school, she wasn’t quite herself. She was a bit whiney and told me that she wanted Aunt Paige. I explained that Aunt Paige lives in California and is going to school today. Then, Lexi asked for Grandma Margie. I told her that she is also in California and has to work today. Finally, she asked for Zak. I couldn’t help but chuckle. He is her 8 year old cousin that lives in Montana and will also be in school today.

I decided it was time to pump her up again. I talked to her about her teachers and told her that they were already at school. I told her that they have fun activities planned and that she would get to play on the playground, eat snacks and lunch, meet lots of kids, sing songs, do crafts, etc. She perked right up.

When we pulled into the parking lot, she saw other kids and wanted her backpack on right away. She also wanted to carry her lunch box. I carried Jordan and her nap pad. We walked into the classroom and she sat right down at a table with play dough. She messed with it a little and then ran over to the other kids playing with toys. I watched for a few minutes. Another little boy started crying his eyes out. That got me choked up a little. I called Lexi over for a hug and kiss before saying goodbye. I headed to the office to pay our tuition and then walked by again. Lexi was playing happily with a girl.

I’ll update later to let you know how it went.


Posing with her Backpack



Sitting in the Classroom

No comments: