Lexi officially became a bike rider today. I asked Steve to take her training wheels off at the end June. She didn't even get to try it once before we headed off to California. When we got back, it was WAY too hot for bike riding. All of my friends told me that in Texas, bike riding is a fall/winter/spring activity. Summer is only for swimming. The first time she finally got to try it was 4 weeks ago when my brother was here. He helped her with a few of the basics. She loved to complain that it was too difficult and dangerous (sounds just like I did). I took her last weekend too. Only a few times was I able to let go of her for a few seconds. It was kind of a pain running along side of her. It was also hot, so we didn't last long.
I knew we had to go this morning, despite her complaints. I decided to find a parking lot rather than a trail like we'd been doing. I figured that would make it easier to help her & watch Jordan. I was astonished how quickly she went from being completely dependent and grabbing onto me for dear life to riding by herself - maybe 10 minutes. After she realized that I wasn't really holding on, she wanted to try it herself. That was it...away she went. Now, she tells everyone it is EASY. She still needs to practice starting by herself. She managed a few times, but got frustrated by it many times. Hopefully, soon he'll be saying that starting is easy.




No comments:
Post a Comment