Thursday, August 28, 2008

Meeting Her Teachers


Today, we had our "home visit." The teachers from Lexi's school try to meet all of their students in their own home before school starts. I know it helps the kids get comfortable with the teachers, but I also think the teachers get a good look into the kids' lives. Our visit went well. Lexi met Ms. Lydia (teacher) & Ms. Mary (assistant teacher). They were both very friendly and gave her stickers, so she liked them right away. I have not been worried about her liking school or them, because she isn't shy at all. We found out that she'll have 10 kids in her class (5 boys & 5 girls) and their theme is ladybugs. Next week, we have an orientation on Thursday and a find-your-classroom on Friday.

Lexi and I are both so excited that we want school to start already. One of my good friends has been crying all week about her daughter starting kindergarten. Fortunately, her daughter has been loving it. To be honest, I am not at all sad about Lexi going to Mother's Day Out. I just know that she'll love it. Plus, I think putting her in daycare at 6 months was so difficult that anything less is easy. In this program, she'll get to play with lots of kids, do art projects, and have fun. I'll have a chance to work without trying to entertain her and then we can have our fun in the afternoons and on the days she has off.

My whole purpose for sending her is for the playtime and the art projects. The one thing that I am not expecting is for her to learn very much. She already knows her colors, all the upper case letters, most of the lower case letters, numbers, and she can count to 20 in English and 10 in Spanish. These are the things that the other kids will probably just begin to learn this year. I am hoping she learns a little more Spanish from Ms. Lydia, but I am not expecting it. Really, this school year for her is all about socializing while I work.

No comments: