Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Lexi Appreciation Day


Yesterday, I got a call from Lexi's school counselor.  Lexi came in crying and wanted to talk about all the changes that are happening in her life.  That is probably strange for some kids, but Lexi has always expressed her feelings and is very open and talkative about what is going on just like I am.  We basically talk about everything.  She has been visiting the school counselor since the counselor introduced herself to her Kindergarten class and invited any of them to come and talk to her when they were sad.  Lexi probably goes overboard.  She goes in to tell her that she thinks a kid is being rude and is probably a bully.  I know she complained a few times in kindergarten that her teacher wouldn't let her go that day.  I told her sometimes work needs to be done too.

Anyway, her counselor called to say that she was starting a little therapy group for kids in Lexi's family situation and wanted to know if Lexi could be part of it.  She hand picked the kids.  It starts in January and is going to be called Banana Splits.  I thought it was a wonderful idea because we don't really know any other families that have divorced  parents or step-families.  It would be good for Lexi to feel that others are in our situation.  I think some of the anxiety of the new step-family and what that entails will lessen this weekend since Steve is taking the kids to be with them.  

The timing of that phone call and what I had planned for today just happened to be good.  We have been doing a new system that I came up with called Happy Family Points.  We have a chart on the refrigerator.  When the kids follow the routines I have listed (meal time, getting ready in the morning, and bedtime) as well as when I see them doing something extra nice for someone in the family, they get a point.  When they have 25 points, they are rewarded with a day dedicated to them.  Today was Lexi Appreciation Day.  She got to pick out what we were eating throughout the day and we spent extra time telling her how much we love and appreciate her.  She really is a wonderful part of our little family and we love her more than word can say.  


No comments: