Friday, August 03, 2012

Picnic Salads



The other day, we went out to the farmer's market.  It is a bit of a drive, so we don't go very often.  In fact, it was Lexi's first time.  On the way back, we stopped at IKEA.  I didn't really have anything in mind that I needed, but I just wanted to let the kids play in their supervised playroom for an hour.  That place is great for me & the kids.  I wish it was closer.  As I was walking around, I found these great glass jars for about $2 each.  I have been seeing a lot of recipes for salads in a jar.  Supposedly, they stay fresh for about a week as long as the dressing is away from the stuff the wilts easily (like lettuce).  When I showed the kids, they kept asking me the different ways we could use it.  Ideally, I'd like to send them for their lunches.  I won't though.  Kids & glass don't mix.  Also, I am pretty sure that they wouldn't each much of their salads.  They like them, but still need encouragement.  I mentioned a lot of things we could use these for, but when I said for picnics that is what they wanted to hear.    

Today, Jordan decided that we were going to go on a picnic.  He talked about it all day.  When a kid gets excited about eating this healthy, you have to encourage it.  I made salads for each of us and off we went.   When we were pulling up to the park, I realized that being outside during Houston's summer is crazy (even at 5pm).  It wasn't bad at all.  Thankfully, we are having a decent summer and we picked a park that has lots of shade.   

Here is a picture of Lexi pouting because Jordan bit into a cherry tomato & squirted her:






No comments: